Of the 101 things, I have completed 15 in the past 3 1/2 years. At this rate I should be done by the time, I’m 60! Below find the complete list.
What are some of your lifetime goals?
1) Feel and know true love: Completed: Having Soleil has changed and deepened my concept of love forever. I know Caitlin feels the same.
2) Give true love without thought for self: Completed: The sacrifices you make for a child are unbelievable, things you would never imagine.
3) Have no relative die with any things left to be said between us
4) New: Live to hold a grandchild in my hands.
5) See my wife with Mikimoto pearls dripping from her body
6) Make sure my family has no financial strain
7) Go on a date every week with my wife (so long as we are in the same city)
8) Have a child, girl or boy. Completed: Soleil was born on October 29, 2010.
9) Adopt a child
10) Sponsor an extended family retreat
11) Create a legacy at Georgetown University
12) Help my niece at that time (whatever it is) when she needs me
13) Do another leg of the baseball tour with my Dad
14) Spend a week vacation with my sister and her family. Completed: June, 2011 in the Berkshires.
15) Help one Fortune 500 really get social media right: Completed: In 2011, I helped Google relaunch its Nonprofit offering with a successful blogger event and trained a team of Procter & Gamble brand managers on social media.
16) Publish another business book Completed: Welcome to the Fifth Estate was published May, 2011. Marketing in the Round will be published in May, 2012.
17) Ride motorcycles again. Completed: I owned a Ducati GT1000 from Fall, 2008 – Spring, 2011.
18) Use my powers to make a major course difference for at least one charitable effort
19) Publish a great science fiction novel
20) New: Ride a bicycle for 100 miles
21) Sell my agency – Completed Sold Livingston Communications, March 31, 2009
22) Edited: Own a very book friendly coffee shop
23) Have a cameo role in a big time movie as myself, some schmo from DC
24) Contribute to a small child’s education anonymously
25) Work in a library for a year
26) Explore painting
27) New: Start a third company, a social enterprise that does not provide marketing consulting services.
28) Evolve into a much more spiritual existence: Completed: In August of 2009, I began practicing Mahayana buddhism with Thich Nhat Hanh’s Order of Interbeing. Some months are better than others.
29) Regular yoga
30) Help build a micro-economy or ten
31) Publish a NY Times bestseller
32) New: Run corporate social responsibility for a Fortune 500.
33) See my books on the shelf at multiple bookstores
34) Amended: Learn Spanish
35) Work on a presidential campaign
36) Become Dr. Livingston
37) Learn to scuba dive
38) Teach on the University level as an adjunct. Completed: I taught social media at Georgetown University in Spring of 2009.
39) See a black man as president. Completed: Thank you, Barack Obama.
40) See DC get full voting rights
41) Spend two years of my life serving a charity in an executive role
42) See a man walk on Mars
Stuff and Experience
43) Go to a Final Four
44) Throw a first pitch at a MLB game
45) Sit in a dugout for a full MLB game
46) Own five cars simultaneously
47) New: Give up and give away everything to live in a humble one bedroom apartment later in life
48) Build my own home
49) Give Caitlin and Soleil regular winter breaks in the British Virgin Islands
50) Have a summer home in Canada
51) Attend a clinching World Series game
52) Attend a Summer Olympics
53) Attend a Winter Olympics
54) Own a Mac Book Pro. Completed: 4-12-08!
55) See running of the bulls
56) Watch a Rage Against the Machine concert before they get too old. Completed: 8-2-08 at Lollapalooza
57) New: Tour a Cuban cigar plantation.
58) Own a BMW 1 series.
59) New: Pay for Soleil’s (and any other children’s) education in full.
60) New: Own an Omega again.
61) New: Have a Rhodesian Ridgeback as part of my family.
62) Do a spiritual retreat in the foothills of the Himalayas
63) Tour China extensively
64) Stay at the Bellagio for a week
65) Visit Viet Nam
66) Visit New Zealand
67) Visit Australia
68) Visit the heart of Africa
69) Spend a spring in St. Petersburg, Russia
70) Spend a Fall in Prague
71) Stay at the Ventana Inn for a week with no connectivity
72) Hike throughout Big Sur
73) See the snows of Kilimanjaro before they completely melt
74) Live in London for a significant period of time
75) See Mt. Everest with my own eyes
76) Hike Mauna Loa
77) See the rest of the Hawaiian Islands (already been to the Big Island).
78) Take an Alaskan cruise
79) Live in NYC for a season
80) New: Enjoy a vacation in the Canadian Rockies
81) See the Antarctic
82) Hike in the Patagonia range: Completed: December, 2009
83) Watch the Orcas from the San Juan Islands
85) Drive across the Southern U.S.
86) Madagascar trip
87) Tour Southern Africa
88) Have a conversation over dinner with a president of the United States
89) New: Pick Jim Collins’ brain for an hour.
90) Meet Bono
91) Dinner with Bill Gates!
92) Talk with the Dalai Lama.
93) New: Spend more time with the nuns and monks of Plum Village
94) Do a podcast mini-series with Doc Searls on the Cluetrain 10 Years later
95) New: Meet Scarlet Johannson
96) Have a video taped debate with Mark Cuban on bloggers versus journalists
97) Tea with Richard Morgan
98) Coffee with Neal Stephenson
99) Supper with William Gibson
100) New: Meet Conan O’Brien