• Well said, my friend. Glad our virtual scuffles can lead to so much good. Carry on.

  • Thanks for this post – good advice! Especially the last line – “So smile and be grateful for all of the positive things in your life. The sun still shines.” Happy Father’s Day!

  • Geoff, lovely article. I felt every word! :)

  • The wonderful thing about all of this – the scuffles, the controversy, the scars – is PASSION! Look at all the good passion on both sides can bring. What’s even better, is the ability to come to some sort of mutual understanding—not always agreement, but understanding. It takes true “real” people to be able to reach this point. We don’t further ourselves or the many things we feel so passionately about if we don’t speak up —but, more importantly, be honest with ourselves and others when we ARE incorrect. I’m not saying this in regard to this particular situation, but in general. I still can’t figure out why telling the truth is do damn hard. We all have opinions. Sometimes the true facts can be hard to decipher. Either way, where would we be without this discourse? Without the PASSION??? Happy Father’s Day!!!

  • Good stuff my friend. Sometimes it is hard to stay above the fray and you succumb to the heat of the moment, especially when you have a witty zinger. We all remember the Seinfeld “Jerk store” episode ( But in the end, take a deep breath, wait and rethink the response. 90% of the time, you delete it and forget about it… the other 10% it is so witty you accidentally hit send and follow up with an “I’m so sorry email.”

  • Thanks for not giving in to those moments of feeling beaten down!

  • First off, the fried chicken is making me hungry! But hunger aside, nice post Geoff. You make some great points. I believe that negative criticism does hurt, however, it was Maria Callas who remarked, “When my enemies stop hissing, I shall know I’m slipping.” Though it doesn’t pertain directly to BP, it is a firm reminder that people talk. If you are going to listen to the positive comments, then it is also your obligation to listen to the negative ones as well. There many be truths hidden within them.

    Thanks again, Geoff.

  • @Jason: Glad we get the bigger picture. You’re a great friend.

    @Jennifer: LOL< ironically, it's much easier to tell the truth. You don't have to remember what you said. @Ja-Nae: The bigger you get the more BS comes your way, much of it unfounded, much of it based in other people's egos. I hope you get a chance to find that out.

  • Geoff, I completely agree. Almost all of it is based on the ego: good and bad. I just believe that if a person or a company is going to listen to what others have to say, then they have to listen to all of it and not have selective hearing. :-)

  • Ja-Nae: Have to be honest. Don’t see that as true. I don’t need to listen to anyone. I choose to listen as a commitment to a conversation, and when I see something that seems off, I can also choose to ignore it. Sometimes I pay a price for that, often I don’t.

  • Geoff, I feel like we are saying similar things but in different ways.

    I feel that you can listen to negative and positive feedback and then do what you like with it, on both sides of the coin. Almost a “Take what you like and leave the rest..” mentality.

    The point I was trying to make earlier (pre-coffee, mind you) was that if you believe the positive feedback, then why not believe the negative as well? Both are fuel by someone’s ego. The only difference is the personal agenda that is usually tied to each comment.

    I hope that makes more sense. :-)

Comments are closed