It’s summertime and with the heat comes play, even for social media geeks and bloggers. Here are five fun things to watch and play with this summer:
1) Spotify: It finally arrived in the United States last week, and boy it’s fun. As an old person who hasn’t listed to pop radio for more than a decade, this has been a fantastic way to learn about new bands. Favorite find so far is “Holly Roller” by Yacht. Most people are getting their invites to this modern Napster via Klout Perks.
2) Mac OS X Lion: So what does the new robust operating system have to offer that we haven’t seen before? Multitouch gestures, full screen applications, mission control, and new email to start with. Playing with Lion will be fun for any true Apple geek!
3) Rupert Murdoch Gets Roasted: The News of the World phone hacking scandal is getting deeper and deeper embroiling even the United Kingdom’s Prime Minister. Now the News Corp. board has hired its own legal representation. Will the scandal impact Fox News and the Wall Street Journal? Can it even take Rupert down? Couldn’t happen to a better guy, and as much as you hate saying it, from a media wonk standpoint, you can’t leave this story alone.
4) Google+: Blah, blah, blah. See every other marketing blog.
5) Amazon’s Continued Market Entry: Amazon made a stellar entry into the mobile electronics market with the Kindle. Then there were the stores for video and music. Now a tablet is coming this Fall. Finally, we may have a bonafide competitor to the Apple store and its many associated devices (iPad, iPod), etc. Stay tuned to the news.
What fun geekery are you participating in this summer?